It is possible to paint nearly on everything and here is another new trend, rock art. Forget about painting on expensive canvas. Stones are cheap, you can even collect some on your next walk near the river or on the beach.
The smoother it is the easier it will be to work with. Pick some interesting shapes and turn them into a creative piece of art. It is an enjoyable craft that helps you to switch off your mind. And if you have kids these rock art ideas can be a perfect DIY project for the chilly days.
We have selected ten different rock painting ideas that will inspire you to create a mini masterpiece.
- 1. Mandala Stones
- 2. Spirit Animal
- 3. Fridge Magnet
- 4. Colorful Trees – Coolest Rock Art Ideas
- 5. Play With The Shape
- 6. Cactus Stones
- 7. Rock Art Picture
- 8. Rabbit Art Stone
- 9. Funny Monster Faces For Kids
- 10. Quote Stones
- 11. Happy Rocks from Taylor Made Creates
- 12. Love Rocks from Color Made Happy
- 13. Easy Marbled Rocks from Creative Green Living
- 14. Hedgehog Rocks from Easy Peasy and Fun
- 15. Adorable and Easy Blue Birdies from Sweet Sugar Belle
- 16. Easy Galaxy Rocks form Val Event Gal
- 17. Ladybug Painted Rocks from Crafts By Amanda
- 18. Tic Tac Toe Rocks from Color Made Happy
- 19. Domino Rocks from Paging Super Mom
- 20. Graphic Sunset Beginner Rock Painting Idea from Rock Painting 101
- 21. Colorful Geometric Shapes by Alisa Burke
- 22. Simple Sayings Rocks from Mod Podge Rocks
- 23. Glow in the Dark Rocks from Dukes and Duchesses
- 24. Easy Woodland Creatures from Deco Art
- 25. Easy Monster Faces from Easy Peasy and Fun
- 26. Pokemon Rocks from Inspiration Made Simple
- 27. How to Paint Bright Colored Flowers from Mark Montano
- 28. Dot Painted Rocks from Twitchetts
- 29. Rainbow Colored Inspiration Rocks from Mark Montano
1. Mandala Stones
These beautiful mandala stones are created by Canada-based artist Elspeth McLean. She uses average paint brushes and many layers of acrylic paint to get these beautiful colorful dots arranged in a radiating pattern. The result is a colorful treat for the eyes. The process is also fun, it is more like a meditative practice.
2. Spirit Animal
Artist Sehnaz Bac creates beautiful pebble art using vivid colors, animal motifs, geometric pattern and many more. You can check out her art and get some more inspiration if you visit her Facebook profile. Make your very own pet rock or create unique gifts with a simple stone and some paint.
3. Fridge Magnet
Once you have painted some pebbles you can make them into fridge magnets. You can create unique designs or write inspirational messages on them. Paint more pebbles and stick them onto your fridge. The more the better!
4. Colorful Trees – Coolest Rock Art Ideas
Check out these beautiful trees, they are so simple and yet so decorative. Make a whole group of trees and decorate your flower pots or your garden with them. They would look cool in the bathroom as well, if you arrange them nicely on the side of the bathtub.
5. Play With The Shape
Who said that only flat and smooth rocks can be painted? If you find a stone with unique shape you can paint it all, like this creative idea here. This watermelon stone can be used as paperweight or as bookholder in the kitchen for your cookbooks.
6. Cactus Stones
This is the ultimate idea for those with a black thumb. Fun, decorative and it does not require any care, it will never wither. Pick some oval shape stones paint them green with off-white motifs and place them into a nice terracotta pot and you will have a stone cacti pot.
7. Rock Art Picture
You can create a unique picture by using only pebbles. Pain them so that you get a similar theme and glue them onto a wooden board. Use strong glue, or a hot glue gun to make sure that the stones will stay in place. This is a great way to make a use of the stones that the kids collected on the summer holiday.
8. Rabbit Art Stone
Find a bigger stone similar to the one here. Paint it dark grey or black and than start with the major lines. Once you have them continue with the coloring and paint the fur with short, fine lines. Use thin paint brush to get fine lines. This cute rabbit stone is a larger piece so it can be used as a door stop.
9. Funny Monster Faces For Kids
This is a real fun project for kids. They love to make colorful stones and grandparents love to get them. Glue some google eyes, paint funny faces and soon you will have a whole lot of them. Glue magnet on the back and use them as a fridge magnet.
10. Quote Stones
These quote stones are not only decorative but they are also meant to inspire. You will only need some smooth river rocks and fine point markers – white, black or any other colors you like. Write your favorite quote – each word on a separate stone – and draw small icons on some of them.
11. Happy Rocks from Taylor Made Creates
These rocks are super simple to paint even for the most novice among us!
12. Love Rocks from Color Made Happy
Color Made Happy has all kinds of rock painting tutorials. She even has a rock painting book out!
13. Easy Marbled Rocks from Creative Green Living
These rocks are easy for beginners to make. Even kids will want to make these fancy rocks!
14. Hedgehog Rocks from Easy Peasy and Fun
It feels empowering for people who aren’t normally crafty to make rocks that actually look like something. These adorable hedgehogs are perfect for newbies.
15. Adorable and Easy Blue Birdies from Sweet Sugar Belle
Technically these blue birds are candies but they would make great rocks! Just base coat a rock with blue paint and add eyes and a beak with a Posca pen or FolkArt 3D paint.
16. Easy Galaxy Rocks form Val Event Gal
17. Ladybug Painted Rocks from Crafts By Amanda
These ladybugs are the perfect addition to any fairy garden. They are a simple and easy rock painting idea perfect for beginners.
18. Tic Tac Toe Rocks from Color Made Happy
Don’t just paint your rocks – use them, too! Painting X’s and O’s on stones is as easy as is gets. Use a garden paver to make a board to play on.
19. Domino Rocks from Paging Super Mom
Not very crafty? Anyone can draw lines and dots with a paint pen! This easy rock painting idea lets you turn rocks into a functional game of Dominoes.
20. Graphic Sunset Beginner Rock Painting Idea from Rock Painting 101
21. Colorful Geometric Shapes by Alisa Burke
Worried that whatever you try to paint won’t look quite right? Then the easiest solution is the paint nothing at all! These abstract color block, stripes and shapes just look cool and are easy for the perfect beginner to pull off.
22. Simple Sayings Rocks from Mod Podge Rocks
Want encouraging kindness rocks ideas? Check out Mod Podget rocks and her great collection of simple sayings for rocks.
23. Glow in the Dark Rocks from Dukes and Duchesses
These glow in the dark rocks from Dukes and Duchesses are easy for anyone to paint and they have the added bonus of glowing in the dark. Fun!
24. Easy Woodland Creatures from Deco Art
Looking for some easy animals to paint on rocks? Deco art will show you how to paint a bear fox or owl step-by-step.
25. Easy Monster Faces from Easy Peasy and Fun
These adorable monsters are a great beginner rock painting project. Even if they turn out silly, goofy or mean, just say that’s how it was meant to look!
26. Pokemon Rocks from Inspiration Made Simple
Pokemon might seem like an adventurous undertaking for any beginning rock painter but these pokemon faces are simple enough that even a beginner can pull them off. Give them a try!
27. How to Paint Bright Colored Flowers from Mark Montano
Mark Montano pulls off some pretty impressive DIY projects! This one is easy to follow along with so you can see exactly how he makes these pretty, Mexican pottery inspired flowers.
28. Dot Painted Rocks from Twitchetts
Using a variety of dotting tools from around your house, Twitchetts shows you how to make simple dot art even beginning rock painters can do.
29. Rainbow Colored Inspiration Rocks from Mark Montano
Mark Montano is back with another easy rock painting idea for beginners. Follow along with him step-by-step as he shows you how to paint this simple plant-inspired motif.
Suggest us more Rock Art Ideas in the comment box bellow so we can publish them in our next article.
Bonus: Check out this video with some awesome Rock Art Ideas!